About Us

Saffron Walden Amateur Swimming Club (SWASC) was formed in November 1911 as a Water Polo Club.  At that time the club’s base was the Town Baths in Hill Street, Saffron Walden, where they stayed until the Baths closed in 1982.  Below is a photo of the SWASC 1911 Water Polo Squad.

Photograph kindly provided by Saffron Walden Town Library

The Club moved to the Lord Butler Leisure Centre in 1984, and in 1987 became known as Saffron Walden Swimming Club, also known as Saffron Seals.

Over the years SWSC have produced some very good swimmers – not least one women’s backstroke swimmer who swam for GBR in the 1950s.  Also, many of townsfolk were Club members when younger, including some of those who have held positions of authority within the town.

After almost 50 years Saffron Seals are once again achieving qualifying times for County and Regional Championships.

Seals takes part in the Saffron Walden Carnival, organised every 3 years by the Round Table, and looks to stage or take part in various fundraising events throughout the year.

Leave a Reply