The following is the progression from one training group to the next. Also given are the sessions available to each group. All sessions are named in time order – Tuesday first session (Tues.1), Friday second session (Fri.2) – as easy shorthand when communicating session information.
Black – Fri.2 (6.15-7.30pm); Sat.1 (4.45-6.00pm)
- This is the entry level for all members. It is here that swimmers learn how to train, improve stroke techniques, and gain the skills required for competition swimming.
- To progress from this training group swimmers need to be assessed as competent at all strokes, starts and turns, and to have achieved a minimum level of fitness.
- Swimmers are encouraged to attend ‘selected’ open meets, and may be selected for EML fixtures.
Yellow – Tues.1 (6.45-8.00pm); Fri.1 (5.15-6.30pm); Sat.1 (5.45-7.00pm)
- Swimmers are coached to establish efficiency in at least three strokes, to be able to dive competitively from the starting blocks, and to execute all turns legally and efficiently.
- Progression from this group will be to Silver or Gold, at which point swimmers, coaches and parents will begin to assess whether a County/Regional level of swimming is possible and desirable.
- Swimmers should begin to attend open meets and are expected to participate in EML fixtures if selected.
Silver – Tues.1 (6.45-8.00pm); Thurs. (6.45-8.00pm once a month); Fri.2 (6.15-7.30pm); Sat.3 (6.45-8.00pm)
- Swimmers in this training group are focused on achieving Essex Age Group qualifying times (CQTs). Coaching is targeted to help the swimmers achieve a CQT in one stroke and be within 10% on a second stroke.
- Swimmers are expected to compete at all eligible open meets and participate in ESL fixtures when selected.
- Progression to County training groups is dependent upon achieving one CQT and being within 5% of a second CQT.
- Swimmers are expected to be able to focus on their PB and threshold times.
Gold – Fri.3 (7.15-8.30pm); Sat.3 (6.45-8.00pm). A third session can also be selected from either Mon.am, Tues. or Fri.am.
- This is the destination training group for almost all swimmers. Swimmers may join the Gold group having previously been in any of County, Silver and Yellow groups.
- Swimmers will be efficient in at least three strokes, generally proficient at competitive starts and turns, and be capable of assessing their own training and development needs.
- Swimmers are encouraged to attend open meets and will often be selected for ESL fixtures.
- Swimmers should be able to train at a similar level to the Silver and County training groups and should know their PB and threshold times.
County Training Groups
- These are the groups for the committed swimmer who is focused on achieving County (CQT), Regional (RQT) and National (NQT) qualifying times. They are split on age, as stated below
- Swimmers are expected to train as much as possible and to continually achieve at least two CQTs.
- Swimmers are expected to attend all eligible open meets and to participate in ESL fixtures if selected.
- All swimmers must know their PB and threshold times.
County Junior (14 years and under as at 31.12.2019) – Mon.am and Fri.am (6.00-7.30); Tues.2 (7.45-9.00pm); Thurs. (6.45-8.00pm) by invitation; Fri.1 (5.15-6.30pm); Sat.1 (4.45-6.30pm)
County Senior (15 years and over as at 31.12.2019) – Mon.am and Fri.am (6.00-7.30); Tues.2 (7.45-9.00pm); Thurs. (6.45-8.00pm) by invitation; Fri.3 (7.15-8.30pm); Sat.3 (6.15-8.00pm)
Regional – Thurs. (6.45-8.00pm)
- This is a sub-set of the County training groups outlined above. It is for swimmers who are dedicated to achieving Regional times and are within 5% of an RQT on at least one stroke.
Masters – Fri.3 (7.15-8.30pm)
- Swimmers aged 21 years and over who have a love of swimming and wish to train for continued fitness.
- Swimmers may wish to enter open meets, and make themselves available for selection to EML and ESL fixtures.